USCIS Translations

What Documents Need to be Translated for the N-400 Application?

The USCIS N-400 Application for Naturalization requires a substantial amount of evidence and documents to be submitted. The only documents that require translation for the N-400 are those in a foreign language that will be used as supporting evidence. For example, if you were previously married overseas, USCIS will require the divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment documentation to be translated from the foreign language it was written in to the English version.

As with all USCIS translations, the translation must be certified by a competent translator and include a statement of certification. For a full listing of USCIS translation requirements, be sure to read the article we've prepared on the subject.

We have prepared a brief list of common documents that must be translated for an N-400 application. In some cases, additional evidence may be requested by USCIS in the form of an RFE. In most cases, it is better to have a document prepared and translated in the event it is later requested by USCIS.
Marriage Certificate
If you are filing an N-400 in relation to a marriage to another US citizen on the grounds of a marriage and the marriage certificate is in a foreign language, USCIS will require the marriage certificate to be translated. In some countries, a...