Marriage Certificate Translation
A certified translation of your marriage certificate is often required for a variety of purposes, such as immigration, travel, obtaining a passport, legal, and academic purposes. We specialize in the process of translating a marriage certificate for official use. Our specialized translators have worked with marriage certificates issued all over the world and have the knowledge and expertise to handle your translation.
Certified translation vs. standard translation
In almost all cases, a marriage certificate translation must be a certified translation. This type of professionally prepared translation is different than a standard translation or an extract of a translation. Most countries (including U.S. immigration — USCIS) will require, at a minimum, that the translation be completed by a certified translator competent in both languages.
Typical marriage certificate translation requirements
Specific requirements vary between countries, however we have listed common requirements when obtaining a marriage certificate translation below.
- Signature of the translator. A marriage certificate translation must contain the signature of the translator who is certifying the accuracy of the translation. Without a signature, the translation lacks a key component of certification.
- A statement attesting to the accuracy of the translation. This statement can vary, but it typically must include an affidavit that the translator is competent to translate both languages and that the translation is both complete and accurate to the best of their abilities.
- The translator must be a "disinterested party". Most countries, including the United States, do not permit self-translations (i.e. translating your own marriage certificate), translations by family members or friends, or other parties that are associated with the subject of the marriage certificate. In most cases, this means that neither party of the marriage certificate is permitted to perform the translation.
- The translation must be typed and follow the same format. Keeping the same format ensures that the translation and source document can be viewed together for verification.
Marriage certificate translation for immigration
During the immigration process, government authorities will typically require that a marriage certificate be presented in order to extend immigration benefits. In the United States, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is responsible for reviewing immigration applications.
ImmiTranslate specializes in translations for immigration purposes. Our experience with these types of documents makes us an expert in preparing translations that will be submitted to USCIS.
Marriage certificate translation for legal proceedings
If you are undergoing legal proceedings in a country that is different from the country that issued your marriage certificate, it may be required to have the original certificate translated into an official language of the country where the proceedings are taking place.
Legal proceedings can include a divorce proceeding, property settlements, etc...
Other common marriage certificate translation use-cases
Proof of marriage is often required to extend certain spousal benefits, such as health insurance or social security. When a marriage certificate is not in the official language of the government administering benefits, a certified translation is required.
A translated marriage certificate is sometimes used as an official form of identification when other forms of ID are not available. Having the document translated can assist.
USD / page
up to 250 words per page
- Signed & stamped certification of translation accuracy
- Certified by a professional translator
- Digital delivery via PDF
- Review and approve final translation
- 100% Guaranteed Acceptance
- Standard turnaround starting at 24 hours
- Expedited turnaround starting at 1-2 hours
- Physical copy, notarization, and apostille options available