Birth Certificate Translation
A certified translation of your birth certificate is often required for a variety of purposes, such as immigration, travel, obtaining a passport, legal, and academic purposes. We specialize in the process of translating a birth certificate for official use. Our specialized translators have worked with birth certificates issued all over the world and have the knowledge and expertise to handle your translation.
Certified translation vs. standard translation
In almost all cases, a birth certificate translation must be a certified translation. This type of professionally prepared translation is different than a standard translation or an extract of a translation. Most countries (including U.S. immigration — USCIS) will require, at a minimum, that the translation be completed by a certified translator competent in both languages.
Typical birth certificate translation requirements
Specific requirements vary between countries, however we have listed common requirements when obtaining a birth certificate translation below.
- Signature of the translator. A birth certificate translation must contain the signature of the translator who is certifying the accuracy of the translation. Without a signature, the translation lacks a key component of certification.
- A statement attesting to the accuracy of the translation. This statement can vary, but it typically must include an affidavit that the translator is competent to translate both languages and that the translation is both complete and accurate to the best of their abilities.
- The translator must be a "disinterested party". Most countries, including the United States, do not permit self-translations (i.e. translating your own birth certificate), translations by family members or friends, or other parties that are associated with the subject of the birth certificate.
- The translation must be typed and follow the same format. Keeping the same format ensures that the translation and source document can be viewed together for verification.
Birth certificate translation for immigration
During the immigration process, government authorities will typically require that a birth certificate be presented in order to extend immigration benefits. In the United States, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is responsible for reviewing immigration applications.
ImmiTranslate specializes in translations for immigration purposes. Our experience with these types of documents makes us an expert in preparing translations that will be submitted to USCIS.
Birth certificate translation to obtain an ID/Driver's License
In the United States, the issuance of an ID card or driver's license is the responsibility of the State in which you reside. Within each State, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or similar agency is the authority that issues new ID cards and driver's licenses. Most DMV offices will require that a birth certificate be presented to verify someones identity. In situations where that document is not in English, a certified translation is required.
ImmiTranslate can provide certified translations for birth certificates so that you may obtain an ID card or driver's license.
Birth certificate translation to obtain a Passport
In the United States, the Department of State issues US passports and requires a birth certificate be submitted. If the birth certificate is not in English, the Department of State requires a notarized translation of the birth certificate.
ImmiTranslate provides notarized translation services that meet the requirements of the US Department of State for issuing a new passport.
USD / page
up to 250 words per page
- Signed & stamped certification of translation accuracy
- Certified by a professional translator
- Digital delivery via PDF
- Review and approve final translation
- 100% Guaranteed Acceptance
- Standard turnaround starting at 24 hours
- Expedited turnaround starting at 1-2 hours
- Physical copy, notarization, and apostille options available